Monday 16 November 2015

Chasing up



This morning has been a morning of chasing up.

The first person I rang was the heating engineer. Ever since he serviced it a couple of weeks ago, it’s been unreliable. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesn’t. We’re now so spooked that if we start to feel cool, we instantly feel the radiators, check the thermometer & head off outside to manually switch it on. I’m getting used to getting up in the cold & hot pacing to the boiler to get some heating going. He did say he was going away soon but I think it’s high time he came to remedy the problem. We have no confidence in the machine & I, for one, am beginning to wonder about the engineer.

The second chase up is with the double glazing people. We’re having problems with both front & back doors. At the rate we’re going we’re soon going to be locked indoors unable to get out. I suspect the back door is just a minor adjustment, the front is maybe something more serious.

Tomorrow, though, will be a busy day. As usual Linda, our home help, should be coming. New blinds are coming for the back door. We’re also expecting some people who  look after the lawns – feeding them, adding weedkiller, removing moss etc. They were due last week but cancelled due to the high winds. I’m half expecting them to cancel again this week as the winds & rain do not seem to have abated much. I’ll also check that any chemicals they are going to put down are wildlife friendly. The starlings have finally found our garden. At the weekend I counted over 40 of them. You could hardly see the green of the grass of the first lawn for birds, busy digging away in it. I don’t want them poisoning now they’ve finally got here.


No comments: